Costello Law Corporation
We Can Help You, Call Us Today
This Attorney is Lead Counsel Rated. Click here for more Information.

What you need to know about trademark registration

When you start a new business to sell goods or services, how are you going to market those goods? Do you need a trademark or service mark? You do if you want your products or services to be distinguished from others and recognized by clients.

If your business involves products or goods, you need a trademark. If it involves services you will be providing, you need a service mark. You can make your trademark or service mark whatever you want as long as it is not already in use by another individual or entity. It can be a picture, a logo, a symbol or letters.

When you submit your trademark or service mark to be registered in California, you must provide a drawing page. That is an 8 1/2" X 11" sheet of paper with a visual representation of the mark. It cannot be a photocopy but must be an original. It can hand-drawn or written, or computer-generated.

When submitting your application to register your trademark or service mark, you must submit a specimen to show how the mark will be used either on goods, commerce or services. Three identical original specimens (items) are required; an example would be a product (three identical ones) that are using, or will be using, your trademark.

If your trademark or service mark includes a design element that is included in the Design Search Code Manual, you need to include the six-digit numeric code to help distinguish your mark. If you do not include one, the California Secretary of State will include one or more when your application is reviewed.

Your mark will also need a classification code(s) assigned. The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office website includes a list of goods and services and their classification codes. These are used to identify what type of goods or services the mark is to be used for.

Trademark laws allow an attorney to register your trademark or service mark for you. Their signature will be accepted as long as they provide a copy of an agreement signed by you with the application. An attorney can help you identify the proper codes and classifications streamlining the registration process.

Source: Alex Padilla Secretary of State, "Trademarks & Service Marks (TM/SM)," accessed Dec. 21, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Us Today

To protect your valuable idea, contact our lawyers at Costello Law Corporation to set up an initial consultation. We are ready to assist you in any intellectual property issue.

Get Started

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Map & Directions

Costello Law Corporation

Costello Law Corporation
2267 Lava Ridge Court
Suite 210
Roseville, CA 95661

Phone: 916-520-3360
Fax: 916-441-4254
Map & Directions

Email Us