Applying for a patent may not be something you do often, but it’s absolutely crucial for you to protect your invention. If you’re thinking of starting a company based around that invention, the patent also protects your intellectual property so that you can profit off of it. This may give your new company much of its initial value. You do not want to make mistakes.
As such, here are a few key tips to use when applying for the patent:
- Get it right the first time. You can’t change the description after you file the application. Make sure nothing is misleading or incorrect. Do not leave anything out.
- Check over the little details. Don’t allow something to slip through just because you’re too close to the process to notice. Work with your business partners to get a fresh pair of eyes on it.
- Create a checklist. It may help you to go over the application with specific focus on every step on the list.
- Take your time. Yes, you want to do this quickly because you know how important it is to get that patent on file, but do not rush so much that you make mistakes.
- Use professional drawings to supplement your descriptions. These can help give a complete accounting of what your invention is and how it will be made. The drawings also force you to think about the little details in a new way, which can help you find mistakes or reconsider things that you forgot.
As you work your way through this process, be sure you know exactly what legal steps you have to take.